Getting to the beaches in SC
Ah, the beach. Who doesn’t love a sunny day spent splashing in the waves and playing in the sand? South Carolina is home to some of the most beautiful coastlines in America, and for those looking to escape the hustle and bustle of daily life and relax on some of the country's best beaches, it's hard to beat. Whether you’re a tourist looking for a quick weekend getaway or a local wanting to explore their backyard, South Carolina has plenty of stunning beaches. So let’s look at some of the best beaches this state offers and figure out how to get there!
What are the Some of Best Beaches in South Carolina?
South Carolina boasts miles upon miles of breathtakingly gorgeous coastline, so narrowing down which beaches are worth your time can be hard. Here are just a few favorites:
- Myrtle Beach: Becoming almost synonymous with beaches in South Carolina, Myrtle Beach is one of the most visited coastal spots. Boasting loads of fun activities and plenty of accommodation options, it's easy for tourists to stay for days or weeks at a time.
- Folly Beach: Folly Beach is known for its laid-back atmosphere and beautiful views. Enjoy long strolls on Folly Beach's wide, sandy beach or participate in water activities, from surfing or kayaking to crabbing or fishing.
- Kiawah Beachwalker Park: located on Kiawah Island near Charleston. This protected beach park allows visitors to explore miles of unspoiled coastline with spectacular sunsets and plenty of wildlife, including sea turtles and seabirds. It's also a great spot for swimming, sunbathing, and picnicking. Visitors can stay at one of the nearby resorts or even rent a house for larger groups.
- Hilton Head Island: This barrier island is one of America's greatest beach towns. Here you can find stunning views, luxury resorts, and plenty to do, no matter your tastes or plans.
- Boneyard Beach: Boneyard Beach on Bulls Island has become an increasingly popular spot for visitors looking for something off-the-beaten path. The beach here features miles of pristine white sand stretching into the Atlantic Ocean and plenty of wildlife, including nesting sea turtles and shorebirds. It's also a great spot for swimming, sunbathing, or enjoying quiet time away from it all.
How Do I Get to These Beaches?
Most of these beaches are easily accessible by car: simply hit up your favorite navigation app for directions or pick up a map before setting out. If driving isn't your thing, South Carolina has plenty of transport choices; here are just some of them:
- Public buses: Public buses run all along the shoreline from Charleston down to Savannah. Be sure to check out timetables before setting off so that you know when buses will be arriving and departing from each location.
- Know your ferry options: Certain areas along South Carolina’s coast require you to use a ferry system to access certain beaches; be sure to check out timetables and plan your route accordingly if this applies.
- Taxis: Taxi services are available along the coast, so you can travel between cities and downtown areas quickly and easily without worrying about renting a car or relying on public transportation.
- Rely on rideshare services: Popular ride-sharing services like Uber and Lyft also offer services throughout much of South Carolina, making it easy for visitors (and locals) alike to get around without worrying about parking fees or navigation skills.
- Rental cars: For those who don't have their cars but don't want to rely on public transportation or ride-sharing services, rental cars are a great option. You can rent cars from local rental companies or popular national chain companies in many South Carolina cities.
Be aware of speed limits; many beach towns have low-speed limits because they’re more densely populated than other areas; be sure to observe them as you navigate! Additionally, If you plan on visiting one of these beaches by car, read up on local parking regulations so you don’t end up with hefty fines or worse!
Can I Fly Into these Beaches?
No matter where you're coming from or flying solo or with friends/family, flying is usually the quickest way to get somewhere. To visit any of South Carolina's gorgeous beach towns! Here are some airports located close by that will make it easier for you to fly into these areas:
- Myrtle Beach International Airport (MYR): The main airport that services Myrtle Beach and its surrounding area. This busy, modern airport offers direct flights from major cities throughout the United States and Canada. It is equipped with shops, restaurants, and a variety of other amenities, making it convenient for all travelers.
- Charleston International Airport (CHS): Located just minutes from downtown Charleston, this airport offers international and domestic flights throughout much of North America. Plus, it's only 30 minutes away from Folly Beach!
- Columbia Metropolitan Airport (CAE): This airport near Columbia is serviced by several US airlines and offers domestic flights within North America, international flights throughout Europe, and more. It's only two hours away from Hilton Head Island!
- Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport (SAV): Located near Savannah, this international airport provides domestic and international flights throughout Europe and beyond. It's only two hours away from Folly Beach!
- Conway-Horry County Airport (HYW): Located in Conway, South Carolina, about 18 miles from Myrtle Beach. The airport has no scheduled air service but features rentals for private aircraft pilots looking for a comfortable and convenient stopover or en-route destination. With various amenities like aircraft maintenance services, flying lessons, and charter flights available at the airport, it is an attractive option for experienced pilots planning to fly into the Grand Stand region.
Exploring any beach can be a fun experience, but when those beaches come from somewhere as beautiful as South Carolina, it can be even better! Whether you're looking for something close by or planning an extended trip with family and friends, there's something here for everyone. With its stunning coastline, multiple beaches worth exploring, and various transportation options available, there's no reason why you shouldn't take advantage of all that South Carolina has to offer when it comes time for your next vacation adventure! Contact for more information.